Thursday, December 4, 2014

Not exactly Holiday Reading

(image by Ray Bartkus) Ok, so I know I want to recommend inspirational stories for the upcoming season. For that here is my top one: Unbroken. Many of you have read it but if you haven't please read it before the film. I know the film will be good because the story is, but there is nothing like experiencing Louis Zamperini's story through the words of Laura Hillenbrand. And now for something entirely different..... Hillary Mantel-I knew of her, she was on the shelf to read-you know that stack-, but really hadn't read her work until I picked up a collection of short stories, her recent The assassination of Margaret Thatcher. Although it caused quite a stir in England, I don't think it should distract from her being one of the best contemporary British writers of our time. One story, "Comma". was written about in NYTimes Book Review, which was so compelling; I decided to try it. So amazing. Well that led me to one of her former works, Beyond Black.(NYTimes review)-If you like the whole idea of something existing that we can't understand, psychics with weight issues and considerabley dark hilarious humor-pick it up and read, or buy it for your favorite reader -or just borrow it from our Judge Learning Commons! (Although Mrs. Simpson has it right now!) Stay tuned for more recommendations for the readers in your families.

No comments:

Post a Comment